48 HOURS TO GO! WILL YOU SIGN?
Are you dillydallying about signing or have you forgotten? If you care about a good future for Israel and Palestine please put your signature to this important ad. Let’s tell other Australians that there are Jews who think carefully and compassionately about these issues and dare to say so. Let’s encourage other Jews to speak more freely. The more signatures the more impact the ad will have.
Thank you for the donations coming in. This is an expensive exercise and at the moment we only have enough to put an ad in the Sydney Morning Herald. It would be far more effective to go nationwide. With your help we can place the ad in The Australian as well. PLEASE BE GENEROUS.
WE HAVE EXTENDED THE DEADLINE TO COB FRIDAY 1 OCTOBER!
Reflecting ongoing strong and widespread concerns, we are planning to run the statement below as an advertisement in the Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and the Australian Jewish News.
We urge you to sign the statement and thus join the many Jews here, in Israel and around the world who share our concerns.
*** *** ***
JEWS SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
“The attitude we adopt towards the Arab minority will provide the real test of our moral standards as a people.” – Albert Einstein, in a letter to the New York Times, 1948.
Not all Australian Jews condone Israel’s actions. As a growing group of concerned Jews, we share the widespread outrage at the Israeli Government’s unjust treatment of the Palestinian people.
We condemn Israel’s constant violations of international law which include:
• the invasion of Gaza in 2008 that caused around 1400, mainly civilian deaths.
• the ongoing blockade of Gaza in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
• the military assault in May against a civilian flotilla in international waters trying to break the blockade on Gaza.
• the separation wall running through the West Bank which was ruled illegal by the International Court of Justice in 2004
• the 43 year military occupation of the West Bank and the illegal settlements.
We believe that uncritical support of the Jewish State is not the way to memorialise the Holocaust. We have a moral obligation to speak out.
• Join us in urging the Australian Government to exert pressure on Israel to conform to International Law and humanitarian standards.
• Hear American Jewish award winning writer Anna Baltzer talk on “Life in Occupied Palestine: Eyewitness Stories and Photos” on her October Australian tour. She has been a volunteer with the International Women’s Peace Service in the West Bank. She is a Columbia University graduate, former Fulbright scholar and author of Witness in Palestine: A Jewish American Woman in the Occupied Territories. Among many public appearances she has featured most recently on the Jon Stewart Daily Show.
For full details of her tour go to www.iajv.org
Published by Independent Australian Jewish Voices on behalf of [Names] and X others on our website www.iajv.org
*** *** ***
You may sign the letter by sending an email (email@example.com) indicating your intention by Friday October 1st. Some selected signatory names will appear with the statement, and all will be published on our IAJV website www.iajv.org. Names of those who agree with the statement but wish to remain anonymous will not be published.
Generous financial support for these advertisements has already been received from members of the Australian Jewish community but we need an additional $20,000 to make this important idea possible. Unused funds will be used for other speaker events and related IAJV activities in accordance with our stated goals.
To make your contribution you may either use the “Donate” button on our website www.iajv.org
Or use the following bank details for making an electronic transfer:
Unicom Credit Union
Account Number: 26241843
Cheques may be made out to “IAJV”
Send cheques to:
Dr. Peter Slezak
School of History & Philosophy.
University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052