[We would be pleased to continue to receive signatures endorsing our advertised statement and we will continue to add these to the list already posted below. Just send a word or two to firstname.lastname@example.org]
The advertisement appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald and Australian newspapers on 9 October 2010 and Australian Jewish News on 8 October 2010.
JEWS SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
“The attitude we adopt towards the Arab minority will provide the real test of our moral standards as a people.” – Albert Einstein, in a letter to the New York Times, 1948.
Not all Australian Jews condone Israel’s actions. As a growing group of concerned Jews, we share the widespread outrage at the Israeli Government’s unjust treatment of the Palestinian people.
We condemn Israel’s constant violations of international law which include:
• the invasion of Gaza in 2008 that caused around 1400 mainly civilian deaths.
• the ongoing blockade of Gaza in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
• the military assault in May against a civilian flotilla in international waters trying to break the blockade on Gaza.
• the separation wall running through the West Bank which was ruled illegal by the International Court of Justice in 2004
• the 43 year military occupation of the West Bank and the illegal settlements.
We believe that uncritical support of the Jewish State is not the way to memorialise the Holocaust. We have a moral obligation to speak out.
Join us in urging the Australian Government to exert pressure on Israel to conform to International Law and humanitarian standards.
Published by Independent Australian Jewish Voices on behalf of:
Boniface, Harry A
Cohen, Ian, MLC
Cox, Eva AO
De Saxe, Mannie
di Suvero, Henry
Goldbloom Zurbo, Sandra
Rubinstein, Keren T
Winston, George AM